When it comes to your personal dental and oral care, it is important to be aware of the solutions that are available to you. The benefits of orthodontics are not extremely clear, as many do not know how to properly define orthodontics in the first place. This particular branch of service is available to you through your local Tavernier, FL dentists, which have extensive experience correcting even the toughest of bite and jaw issues.
What Are Orthodontics?
Orthodontics are services that provide treatment for common and uncommon malocclusions. This describes any condition that malformed the structure of your jaw and teeth, such as overbites and underbites. It also includes issues related to the structural integrity of the jaw.
This can often happen as a result of accelerated gum diseases, which can penetrate beneath the gum layers and attack the bone directly. In this case, orthodontic surgery is necessary to reconstruct the face’s shape to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and aging.
Some common orthodontic solutions that you may have heard about are:
- Invisalign, or clear aligners
- Corrective headgear
For more severe circumstances, surgery may also be necessary.
What Are the Benefits of Orthodontics?
There are various benefits of orthodontics besides aesthetics. For example, it may not be clear to someone to understand why they require braces or bite-correcting procedures.
Correcting your bite issues helps to:
- Decrease your difficulty when eating, biting, or even speaking/singing.
- Correcting your teeth alignment can ensure that less food is trapped between the pockets and sides of your teeth and gums.
- Aligning your teeth provides support to each adjacent tooth, which drastically reduces chances for infection, and makes hygiene easier
- Aligned teeth and correcting overbite and underbite issues give you the confidence to smile.
Why Would I Need Orthodontic Services?
Orthodontic services also help to properly assess the condition of your teeth, gums, and jaw. Besides the alignment of the teeth, jaw alignment is extremely necessary for a decent quality of life.
Those who have recently been treated for progressive gum disease may find that their facial structure looks “sunk” – meaning that your skin is filling the pockets of your jaw. This not only ages you more quickly but can make eating and drinking certain foods impossible. In some circumstances, it can also prevent you from speaking properly.
Overall, you may need orthodontic services if you:
- Have had long-term bite and jaw issues that need correcting
- Want to restore the range of motion and function of your teeth and gums
- Have a recommendation from your health or dental provider for these services
Your Local dentist in Tavernier, FL
If you are still unsure if you are a candidate for orthodontic treatment, it is time for an appointment with your local Tavernier, FL dentist. The team at Florid Key Dentists is equipped to handle your orthodontic-related issues and can always recommend the best course of action based on your unique needs. Contact us today!