Missing teeth are more than just a cosmetic problem. A missing tooth can cause other teeth in the mouth to shift, leading to misaligned teeth, poor oral health, discomfort, and more.
A dental implant may be the solution if you’re missing a tooth or even multiple teeth. As your dentist in Tavernier, FL, the professionals at Florida Keys Dentists can help you decide if this type of dental tool is the right choice for you.
What Is a Dental Implant?
A dental implant is a type of prosthetic tooth. The implant is fused to the jaw, so it becomes a permanent part of the mouth in the same way that your natural teeth are a part of the mouth.
Once the post is inserted into and fused with the jaw, the other parts of the, implant-including the crown on top-can be attached. For this reason, installing an implant is a process that is completed over multiple dental appointments.
Do Dental Implants Look Natural?
Dental implants look just like your other natural teeth. In fact, the crown placed on top of the implant will be color matched to the surrounding teeth, to ensure that it won’t stand out. Once the implant is fully installed and healed, no one will be able to tell the difference between your implant and the other teeth.
Benefits of Dental Implants
There are many benefits of dental implants, including:
- Natural appearance. Dental implants are so effective that no one can look at the implant and tell that the implant isn’t real.
- Function like natural teeth. Dental implants are maintained just like natural teeth. They’re cleaned twice daily, flossed regularly, and they can be used to chew and digest food just like natural teeth.
- Never come out. Unlike dentures, which can slip out of place, implants are a permanent placement in the mouth.
- Prevent teeth from shifting. Implants naturally prevent the teeth from shifting in the mouth.
- Restore your smile. When you’re missing a tooth, it can significantly impact your smile. A dental implant can make your smile whole again.
Can You Get More than One Dental Implant?
You can get more than one dental implant if one is needed. If you’re missing more than one tooth, or need to have more than one tooth extracted, talk to your dental professional to find out your options.
Who Is a Good Candidate for Dental Implants?
You’re a good candidate for dental implants if you have good oral hygiene habits, good overall oral health, and you have sufficient bone mass to hold in the implant.
Think You Need a Dental Implant? Contact Florida Keys Dental
At Florida Keys Dentists, we offer dental implants in Tavernier, FL. Contact us today to make an appointment for an examination and consultation about dental implant installation.